Sunday 13 June 2010

...Meditates Her Cares Away!

I've been meditating for many years and I'd strongly recommend it, largely  because the benefits are so fantastic. 

At first I was a little bit reluctant to start because meditation just seemed terribly grown-up & complicated, so I put it off for a long time. But over the years I've devised a very simple method of meditating which cuts out the complications, and works for me,and now it's become one of the favourite parts of my day. 

Meditation leaves me feeling relaxed, balanced and centred, and able to cope with life's daily trials. So this is how I do it:

1. STEP ONE: Sit or lie down with your eyes closed in a comfortable place where you won't be disturbed. Turn off your phone, television and computer if possible. I usually meditate at the end of my day just before I go to sleep to ensure that I won't be disturbed. I start my meditation by mentally going through my day, and giving thanks for the blessings of my day and the opportunities that have come to me that day. Being grateful puts me in a receiving frame of mind, which is important as it allows a connection with the still, quiet spiritual voice within. Smile. Smiling is a fantastic way to begin your relaxation.

2. STEP TWO: When you are comfortable and relaxed, start to notice your breathing. Breathe in and out, counting on each exhale. Do this in batches of 20. When you get to 20, start again at 1. Do this as many times as you need to or want to. During this phase you may notice lots of thoughts popping into your head, and you may start to fidget. You may feel the urge to get up and check that you turned the iron off, or locked the front door, or even to check your bank accounts online. Don't worry if this happens. Just allow the thoughts to pop up, and let them pass. This is the mind resisting, because it wants to be in control. All you have to do is keep breathing gently and keep counting. If you lose count, it's ok -just start again from 1.

3. STEP THREE: By now you should be feeling relaxed, and calm. To start with you may not be able to meditate like this for longer than a few minutes, but with practise and discipline your meditation sessions will gradually get longer and longer. At this point, as you are lying with your eyes closed, you may wish to imagine a powerful shaft of white and gold light pouring into you through the top of your head, and spreading throughout your body, cleansing you as it flows through you, and out through your feet. As this light leaves your body through your feet, imagine that your worries, illnesses and negativities have been cleaned out and are leaving you permanently. Then the Universal Energy that surrounds all of us transmutes the negative energy back into positive energy, so that as you inhale, you breathe in positive, nourishing energy via the light that flows through you. 

4. STEP FOUR: If you fall asleep during your meditation, then that's fine. I find this is one of the best ways to fall asleep if I have a lot of tension or if I've had a particularly bad day, and upon awakening I always feel refreshed and relaxed. If you don't want to fall asleep, and instead wish to wake up after meditating, then do so slowly by gently moving your fingers and toes, but keep your eyes closed. Then make your breath a little deeper, and open your eyes. 

You should feel calm and centred and glowing with a sense of renewed purpose. Take that calmness with you into your day. If you want to take your relaxation further and explore it in more detail, then you will like this ultimate relaxation program. This stress busting program is great for anger management, relaxation, and shares 101 ways to live a stress free life. Who doesn't want that?

No comments:

Post a Comment